Monday, October 5, 2009

Break time! Or so I thought...

Break time is probably my favorite time of day. Depending on my shift, I only get a 15 minute break and a half-hour lunch. And I don't even get paid for my lunch. So you can guess that the last thing I want to do at the store is help someone during my (non-paying) lunch. Its my one time of day to have to myself! To get away from the craziness of it all. 

Now I know you're probably thinking, big deal. Just take off your name tag, go back to the break room, and enjoy your meal. The only problem is, that between the front lanes and the break room are guests! They didn't connect the front office to the break room so you have to walk a short stretch of the store to get back there. And it always seems like on that path of toilet paper and tissues is where people always seem to have problems. 

Today, I was walking the dreaded toilet paper passageway to the break room for my lunch. I had already punched out so I was not getting paid, I had taken off my name tag, put on my different colored sweatshirt, had my bag on my shoulder, my lunch bag in the other hand, and I was talking on my cell phone. Now did this stop this one guest from harassing me? No. Of course not.

I had almost made it to the door! I was so close I could taste it. Only three more aisles left. And then I hear it...

"Ma'am!"

I was on my phone so I just ignored it. They couldn't be talking to me anyways, I was on my break. Another one of my co-workers must be around.

Two more aisles...

"EXCUSE ME! Ma'am!" The screeching, penetrating voice was too loud this time. I had no choice but to turn around and acknowledge this woman. I told my friend who I was talking to on the phone at the time to hang on a second.

"Yes?"

This woman was scary. I mean downright frightening. She was older, with wild gray-brown hair, glasses perched on the edge of her nose, and a crackly old voice. She chased me down the rest of the aisle and actually entered my personal space bubble.

"Where are the Halloween-themed Ziploc baggies?!" She demanded.

Whoa, lady take a chill pill. And then pop a Tic-Tac too while you're at it. I stepped back as politely as I could before answering. 

"They're probably back in the seasonal department," I answered. 

"And WHERE would that be?"

Okay, if you don't shop here well enough to know where all of our departments are, then you really don't have to right to be bossing around employees. Especially those who are on their breaks!

"Well the back corner of the store," I said through clenched teeth. My patience was really wearing thin at this point. 

And all I got after going through all this trouble? A nasty snarl. Thats right, no "thank you". No "thanks for your time" or "I appreciate your help". Or even a "sorry to keep you from your break". Nope, just a nasty look with an actual lip snarl. Thanks lady. I hope you suffocate on your Halloween-themed Ziploc baggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment