Sunday, October 4, 2009

Confessions of a Cashier

I would first like to start off by saying that I hate my job. And secondly I would like to say that it is my honest belief that everybody in the world should have to work in retail at least once. 

Great, now that I got that out of the way, let me introduce myself. My name is Amanda, I am currently not a student (even though I should be) and I work in one of the biggest retail companies in the world. That store would be Target.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Target as a company for the most part. Thats not the part of my job that I hate. I love my co-workers and even enjoy working with my managers (most days). Its just the fact that I have to work in the guest service area, dealing with incompetent, ignorant people on a daily basis.

I started off at Target in my senior year of high school at the young and innocent age of 17. My first job was as a cashier. I thought it was an okay gig at the time. I mean, it was just a high school job. I didn't really mean much to me. Then I graduated and I planned on attending a nearby college that was only 30 minutes away from my house. Which meant I would be living at home. Okay, great. I get to save money by living at home and I can keep my job at Target. Sounds like a plan to me.

Only one thing went wrong in my master plan. I hated school. I mean, hated it. I never really cared for high school either but I just figured, hey, its high school. Who really honestly liked it out there except for the prom king and queen? Then I thought, okay, what if its just the school I chose that I didn't like. Well, either way I knew that I didn't want to go back once the school year was over. So with one year of college education under my belt, I decided to take two semesters off and work for a year. Now I became a full-time team member at Target. And once you're there for 40 hours a week, it really sets in on how crappy a job it is. 

During my one year of schooling, I was promoted to the service desk. Which was amazing. I was so sick of cashiering and dealing with all that drama. Too bad as a new service desk team member you're not treated very fairly and you still get stuck with more cashiering than service desk shifts. I needed to get away from cashiering; I was on the verge of quitting. So I asked to be trained in the photo lab. A couple of weeks later: mission accomplished. I was now officially a photo lab team member. I was taken off of cashiering shifts for good. 

And now, after working in retail hell for three long years, I have encountered some of the most crazy, unbelievable, and just plain strange people I will ever have met in my entire life. Sometimes, I just want to slap people and scream, "USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!" Honestly, do some people just not grow a brain? I guess you'll never really know what I'm talking about though unless you've been in retail yourself. 

So, this is why I've decided to start this blog. To vent about my feelings about dealing with my retail career and just to use as a creative outlet. I still don't know what I want to do with my life. My "work for a year and see where I end up next fall" plan was up well over a year ago. I've been working as a full-time employee in retail for over two years now and I still don't know where life is taking me. One day I know I'll figure it out, but until then I'll keep doing what I'm doing and always try to see the positive side of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment